Eligible For Government Rebates If Installing New Furnace Or AC?
Are you trying to live a greener lifestyle? Did you know that upgrading your current home comfort systems is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint, and that you could be eligible to receive government grants to help cover the costs of purchasing a new system?
As an added bonus, you’ll also end up saving on energy bills! Homeowners who upgrade their heating and cooling systems to more energy-efficient models can qualify for government and utility rebates. By purchasing these more efficient systems you can receive as much as $10,000 in rebates. Let’s talk about which products fall under the rebate category, the different types of government rebates available for installing energy conscious heating and cooling equipment, how to get started and more.
Heating and Cooling Rebates for Canadians
Canada offers many reimbursement opportunities for upgrading your home comfort systems, including furnaces, air conditioning and water heaters. A great example of this is the Ontario Heating and Cooling Incentive. It is available for businesses and residents who have purchased and installed eligible central heating or central air conditioning equipment through a participating contractor. You can receive up to $650 when you participate in this incentive alone. Other incentives include:
- $250 when you replace your old furnace with a new high-efficiency model. Your new central heating system must have an Electronically Commutated Motor (ECM).
- Up to $400 when you replace your existing central air conditioner.
- $250 when you buy and install an ENERGY STAR®-qualified model.
- $400 when you buy and install an even more energy-efficient CEE “Tier 2” level system.
- Peaksaver PLUS helps manage your electricity use. You receive a free in-home Energy Display to help you see and mange your electricity use at home all year.
- saveONenergy coupons can help you save money throughout the year when you purchase and install energy-efficient products for your home at participating retailers.
- EcoEnergy grants give you up to $5,000 in completely tax-free money. The grant money can be used for getting new gas and propane furnaces, but you can also get more depending on what other upgrades you get for your home, which includes insulation and a wide variety of home improvements.
- Up to $1,250 in water heater grants
Why choose ENERGY STAR® products?
Saving energy saves you money and reduces your impact on the environment. ENERGY STAR is the mark of high-efficiency products in Canada. Their qualified products meet strict technical specifications for energy performance—tested and certified. The Government of Canada website lists all the rebates and incentives for select ENERGY STAR® qualified products in Canada listed by province.
Advantages to Upgrading Your Existing Home Comfort System
With as much as 60% of an average home's energy use going towards heating and cooling costs, it makes sense to consider the energy-efficiency of your furnace and central air conditioning units. While upgrading is not a small investment, the grants and rebates will help and over time you’ll spend less on your energy costs. The latest high-efficiency models not only use less energy, they are also quieter, easier to maintain and can even improve your home’s air quality.
In order to promote energy-efficient homes, Canada’s federal and provincial governments have programs to help when you build, buy or renovate. Even some municipal governments have rebate and grant programs. Some aim at simply reducing your personal energy consumption. Rebate programs can make your eco-friendly investments pay back even faster.
How do I get started?
To qualify for incentives, your new system must be purchased from and installed by a participating contractor. Mr. Furnace is part of the saveONenergy program for residential customers, so talk to us today to find out what rebates for furnaces and air conditioners are available in your area.